Skip to main content

My bald spot reminds me to keep my head up


I may have reached the point in my life when the pictures that are taken of me right now will no longer be approached with the “look how young I was” response in the future. They, instead, may very well be met with the “I still had hair then” nostalgia. That reality is deafening. I love Nostalgia, I’ve been in a perpetual state of it most of my life but I also love my hair. I don’t know how to cope with this. There are a lot of things that are worse and I feel like a child that’s not getting their way but I’m not ready to be faced with my mortality and that’s what this represents.
I’ve always been fond of my hair, since I could remember. Matter of fact, since before I could remember. My mother told me of the first time I got my haircut. Don’t mistake this for the times before when my mum got my haircut. This was the first time I got to direct it. Apparently, the hair stylists thought I was a riot. I’d have numbers for individual strands of hair and specific lengths. I made up my own style. It did kind of resemble a mullet, I won’t lie or try to play it off, but I did have the cool 80’s horizontal lines shaved into the sides of my head. I rocked spiky hair on top and that long Macgyver look in the back. I was ready for anything with that doo. My mum, who specializes in Early Childhood Education, once spoke of the psychology of a child in terms of what they obsess about as a toddler is what they will obsess about as a teenager. For me, it was my hair and obsess I did. Hopefully, that theory rains true for a connection between adolescence and adulthood. I cared about my hair then, a lot in fact, however I still recall a kind of ‘putting up with’ attitude. Lo and behold as my teenage years hit, I became infatuated with my hair. I started to spike it and ran with that. I was doing what I call the ‘douchebag spike’ long before the douches and I still, kind of, do it.
I don’t care as much now as I did then about my doo, but the whole thinning thing is bothersome. I’m not the only one that is having the issue. I have many friends at or around my age that have been rocking the bald look for quite some time and I’m not a woman. No offense, but I’m sure balding for a woman is a lot more painful than as a man. Social Stigma. Hell, looking at it in the evolutionary standpoint, I’m ahead of the curve. I’m more evolved, more refined and finding this thought troublesome to honestly sell. Also, once I start shaving my head, I will never have to worry about my hair or a ‘bad hair day’ ever again. I’ll save on shampoo. I can fortunately rock a beard, too. So, why am I so upset?
Maybe it is the mortality thing. Maybe I’m starting to see that I’m no longer becoming more of an adult, a prominent force in the world, but, maybe, I’m starting to fade out. Maybe I feel as though I have physically peaked? I don’t really have an answer. I ignored the bald spot for a while. Refusing to consciously acknowledge its existence and laugh it off if anyone around me was real enough to talk about it. However, within a year or two, its not so easily brushed off. I catch glimpses of it in the mirror; some recent pictures shed light on how bad it has gotten. I’m grieving.
I finally realized that I’m beginning to accept and that stings. I’m starting to picture myself in the future with a shiny dome. I’ve been angry. I’ve done the whole ‘why is this happening to me’ thing. Starred at the back of other guys’ heads with envy and disgust. I’ve thought about how I’ve wasted time with my hair when I did have it. I’ve thought about how, maybe, there was some other reason for this and if I could fix that then, maybe, I could get it back. I never thought this would be so detrimental to my level of confidence and how I viewed myself. I’ve started to keep my hair shorter. I’ve started to move on. I’ve sought out advice. I have a game plan. That being said, do me a favor then, eh? Friends and family, don’t let me be one of those guys who goes on too long trying? Let me know when enough is enough? I can’t see the back of my head and I intend to ride this out as long as I can...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Past Months

I feel as if I could speak volumes and be ignored. If I could rattle mountain ranges with calm voice, I would scream and still go unheard. I’m trapped in a living nightmare of negativity and void of savory outcomes. My reality lately is simply of no control, it’s like silently fine-tuned rejection. I have no ripple of persuasion, no utterance of opinion. All I have is drive, but no direction. I’m oscillating and full-throttle, stuck in neutral and backing down an ever-steepening hill. I feel that I am able to simply lift all this nonsense over my head but my feet haven’t any grip. I’m slowly sinking and I am losing composure. I feel pressure when there is none. My fickle grasp of this thing called reality is slipping from my sight and life is decreasing in ease. I’m told stories about how this is just how it is, however this change has occurred in rapid succession as of recent. I can not seem to find any release. There is no relief, it just keeps coming like swimming in choppy water.

Turkey Day Woes (2020 edition)

Hey there. Sorry I am terrible at keeping up with writing in general. Maybe, uh, if more people subscribed to communicate they want  to read this material I would be more motivated? But, who am I kidding? I'd just frustrate you more, maybe? Anyway, I'm back because I need to get out my Turkey Day woes of this year. So, here it goes: I wanted to recount the events that took place as I attempted to cook Thanksgiving dinner for myself as I hit a lot of the benchmarks one experiences as the earn their Turkey Day Stripes. I battled a hangover, underestimated prep, did not thaw my turkey (3lb Breast) properly, and I had my first grease fire! Talk about a slew of chaos that didn't leave my hunger satisfied until 10pm as I ate all my side dishes one by one during our family zoom meeting as they finished cooking at staggering times.  So, let me start with the fact that I have been recently health-motivated as my doctor and I got into a conversation that I will loosely paraphrase lik

Retirement of the Dj

His heart was racing. Nauseous, his stomach was turning wave after wave. After ending his ritualistic phone call with his Mum, he felt a hint of comfort. He tried telling himself that being nervous is part of the show. It’s what makes him strive for perfection and keeps him searching for the track that the crowd doesn’t even know they want to hear. It’s what keeps the energy flowing and what keeps his focus. A voice briefly cut his rapid anxiety, ‘five minutes.’ The panic was turning to excitement. Feverishly he recapped the tentative playlist in his head. It doesn’t matter too much, it would all change anyway. The best performances come from improvisation. This was his first big show. This was his first time headlining and the first time he filled the house with people wanting to see him and no other perform. He could not be happier or more stressed. This was the one. This was the one that would make his career. He’d soon be traveling the world to the hottest clubs, to the mo